I’m constantly working with my clients to find realistic ways to work breakfast into their everyday routines. Just finding time to eat is tough enough for most people, but many of my clients are working to heal their digestive systems and have some food restrictions we need to work around as well. When you’re avoiding gluten, dairy, and eggs; your breakfast choices become quite limited. In this case, I always fall back on a great breakfast meat and some fresh vegetables.
These turkey sausage patties are the perfect blend of savory, sweet, and spicy – everything you want in a breakfast sausage! They are full of flavor and can stand alone without the help of runny eggs or syrup-y pancakes.
Full of protein and cooked in nourishing fats, you’ll just want to add some fresh vegetables or fruit to your meal for a perfectly balanced start to your day.
- 2 lbs. ground turkey thigh meat
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. freshly chopped sage or 1 Tbsp. dried sage
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 onion, finely diced
- ghee or coconut oil for cooking
- Heat coconut oil or ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add diced onion and sauté until tender and translucent.
- Meanwhile, mix sea salt, sage, cayenne pepper, black pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Add the cooked onions and ground turkey to the spice bowl and mix well.
- Form the meat mixture into balls about the size of a golf ball (makes about 25).
- Increase the skillet heat to medium-high and add more coconut oil or ghee if necessary. Place sausages into the skillet and press down gently with a spatula to flatten. Cook until brown on each side, about three minutes per side. Remove to a towel to drain.